Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ernesto Neto: Slow iis good

Last week I took a little exam break to go to Chelsea and gallery hop with my art history teacher. He announced the invitation to our entire class of around 30 students, but for some reason I was one of only 2 people who went.

This was definitely a semester highlight because
A. I love getting to know professors on a personal level,
B. there is nothing better than expanding your education beyond the classroom,
C. gallery hopping in Chelsea is fun and amazing and one of the reasons I love New York &
D. because I discovered Ernesto Neto, one of my new artistic heros.

Although I rarely share work thats not my own on Abstract Noun this exhibit was too inspiring to not be showcased. I didn't have my camera with me so these photos are from all over the web...
Meet the work of Ernesto Neto. Although he works with many different materials his giant crochet installations are in my opinion the most genius. I was sitting in this structure chillin' with my art history professor in utter awe. The only thing better I thought would be if this was in a tree.

This installation, and many like it are crocheted BY HAND out of polypropylene and polyester cord that hangs from the ceiling. The structures welcome the viewer inside to explore the tunnels, walking on a plastic ball floor that moves with every step. Neto offers the viewer a space in which we can slow down, breathe, and rest, hence the title 'slow iis good'. In the middle of exams this piece did exactly that, for which I am thankful.
The gallery description from the Tanya Bonakdar Gallery (on west 21st street) was really insightful so I thought I'd share a part of it:
The works are crocheted to resemble cells seen through a microscope, and a network of constellations unfurled across the sky. Here the inside and the outside universe are represented in the same form, demonstrating the interconnectivity of life. Not only do the works resemble and reference natural, organic matter, they also incorporate it: the installations often incorporate stones, plants, and spices that create a landscape for the main structure of the work. The installation fuses the boundary between artwork and viewer, inviting the visitor to step inside. It also draws no distinction between types of life--we are all part of the natural world.
UM. WOW.

I pretty much died when I was reading the gallery description because this is everything I want to incorporate in my fashion design: crochet, unification with the natural world, color, and an unexplainable ethereal quality.

 I created a conceptional collection that fuses basket weaving techniques and vintage looking hot air balloons a few weeks before seeing this installation that I'm excited to share soon; however, after discovering Ernesto Neto I'm excited to push my own work and 'knitted' aesthetic further.

More of his genius pieces....

I want to play and explore all of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!
Come back again soon!