Friday, February 25, 2011

Wave Dress

Last semester I took a fundamental art class called Light, Color, and Design. The class examined things like line weight, grey scales, properties of color, patterns, and 3D forms. The end of the semester final was to create a garment inspired by something specific in nature.
I chose to make a dress inspired by ocean waves.
Below I scanned some pieces of my design process.
I had to find a ton of different things that inspired the texture, color, mood, etc. of what I wanted to design. Since the dress was inspired by waves I picked a lot of things with layers: bike gears, braids, and The Guggenheim, as well as things with sea foam texture: wintery trees, lace, and tea doilies.
Above I scanned swatches of the fabric used...they didn't turn out that clearly, but you get the idea.
Details
Some photos from around the web that inspired me:
This is one of the first times I've put other peoples photos on my blog. I did it mostly to credit and show where I got my inspiration. Comment if you like posts like this!

1 comment:

  1. beautiful post. the wave dress you made is amazing! i wish i was that talented <3

    visit me if you'd like :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!
Come back again soon!